Guys, you’ve heard the adage, “March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb!“, right? Those March winds can be pretty rough, especially on the hair! And just because March is almost over doesn’t mean it’s going to get any easier—heat and humidity are soon to be on the horizon! And these can be equally as brutal!
So, what’s the best way to take care of your hair? Here are a few tips to keep it healthy and looking good all year round…
- Start with a good haircut. Whether you go to an expensive salon or the corner barber, getting a good haircut is essential for any length, any style and any texture.
- Don’t try this at home (unless you know what you are doing!). If you decide to color or straighten/curl your hair, remember that the product you use will have a lasting effect, so try to avoid harsh chemicals that may last longer than the color!
- Use a good shampoo and conditioner. Make sure you keep the moisture IN your hair and don’t strip it out with soaps!
Use the Right Product!
- Don’t use a brush on wet hair. Use your fingers or a wide-tooth comb instead. This will keep your hair from being “bristle-damaged”.
- Gel and creams work best in towel-dried, damp hair.
- Paste, wax and clay products work best in dry hair.
- Since it is best to only shampoo every 2-3 days, discover dry shampoo for those in-between fixer-uppers. It really works, without damaging your hair!
Use the Right Technique!
- Pat dry, don’t rub! Try to pat your hair dry in the direction in which it grows.
- If you must use a hair-dryer, use a protective heat-shielding spray first. The heat will not cause as much damage to your hair.
- A dime will do! Place a dime-sized amount of your styling product in one palm and rub your hands together to warm it before applying.
- Fun Fact – the slogan for a popular group of men’s hair-styling products that was founded in 1928 was “a little dab will do ya”.
- Roots out! Start at the scalp and work the produce out toward the ends…remember to use your fingers or a very wide-toothed comb.
And remember, the best way to keep your hair healthy is to keep your body healthy. The right diet will provide the proper nutrients to keep your scalp and hair healthy and shiny. Don’t forget that your oral hygiene contributes to your overall health too, so be sure to brush your teeth and clean your tongue daily with your TUNG Brush and Gel.
Finally, one last tip. Don’t wear tight hats! Might sound silly, but now that winter is over, be sure to let your hair and scalp breathe!