“Smile, and the world smiles with you.” There is no doubt about it, smiling is contagious. And, as our grandmas told all of us when we were children, it takes a lot fewer muscles to smile than to frown. So why not join us in celebrating World Smile Day today!?
I smile every day, so what’s so special about today?
Today is a day to not only celebrate smiling, and the beloved smiley face 😊, but to think about how smiling can make a real difference in someone’s life. Think about how you feel when you see a baby smile, that toothless grin is guaranteed to bring a smile to the grumpiest of faces, right? World Smile Day began back in 1999 when Harvey Ball, a commercial artist from Massachusetts who is credited for the popularity of the smiley face, declared that we needed a day to provide one act of kindness and one contagious smile for another person. The idea caught on, and, as the story goes, Congress declared that the first Friday of each October be celebrated as World Smile Day.
How do I celebrate then?
Naturally, if you are going to go around smiling at people, start your day by brushing your teeth and cleaning your tongue with your TUNG Brush and Gel so you have a bright smile and fresh breath! Don’t want to cause frowns, right? Now that that’s out of the way, think about the benefits of smiling at someone and your celebration will come naturally!
- Smiling can cheer someone up who is down.
- Smiling can tell someone you really care about him or her.
- Think about how you feel when you smile and try to get someone to feel the same joy.
- Smiling can give someone a boost of confidence.
- Smiling can be the beginning of a friendship…or even a romance!
- Smiling can tell someone you agree with him or her—it is a great mode of non-verbal communication!
- This is a good day to use those smiley faces on notes or emails…just keep it all professional if you are at work 😉
Any other ideas for the day?
How about using some smile quotes in your verbal or written correspondence (be sure to smile while you do!) – here are a few to get you started:
- A smile is happiness that can be found right under your nose.
- If you don’t have a smile, I can always give you one of mine.
- You are never fully dressed without a smile.
- A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.
- Never underestimate the power of your smile.
- A smile is a universal welcome.
- Peace begins with a gesture as small as a smile.
So, from all of us to all of you – Happy World Smile Day! Be the reason that someone has a smile on their face today. 😊 😊 😊