Saturday, January 27 is a day definitely worth commemorating! It is National Chocolate Cake Day! You don’t need an excuse to indulge — even if it isn’t anyone’s birthday, anniversary or wedding day, go ahead and celebrate!
Did you know that…
- In America, chocolate was consumed primarily as a drink until the mid-19th century.
- The earliest chocolate cake recipe found in the US was published in 1847 in The Lady’s Receipt Book by Philadelphia cookbook author, Eliza Leslie.
- The first recipe called for chopped chocolate — not something we are used to today.
- A company called O. Duff and Sons created the first boxed cake mix in the late 1920s. Betty Crocker didn’t produce their first dry cake mix until 1947.
But isn’t chocolate cake really fattening?
As you know, we strive to provide you with healthy alternatives to traditional recipes. Of course, that means we found a chocolate cake recipe that contains no processed sugar, butter or oil but is uber-yummy anyway! And of course, it will taste even better if you maintain great oral hygiene and clean your tongue with your TUNG Brush and Gel every day!
Healthier Chocolate Cake
- 3 ripe bananas
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (vanilla or plain – up to you)
- 1/3 cup honey (yes, it is, technically, a sugar, but not processed and so much healthier!)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups all purpose-flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Some mini chocolate chips to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Spray an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray.
- In a blender, combine the bananas, Greek yogurt, honey, vanilla, and peanut butter. Blend until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the blended mixture into a mixing bowl. Add the egg and mix in.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda, mix until incorporated.
- Add the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, mix.
- Pour the cake into the prepared pan. Sprinkle addition chocolate chips on top of the cake if desired.
- Bake for 27-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
So there you have it, a healthier chocolate cake.
Of course, it would also be really yummy with a bit of vanilla or espresso ice cream on top just for fun. But don’t tell anyone we told you that 😉